[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone
Shigeo Honda
2012-05-22 07:47:09 UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm Shigeo Honda, Plone Users Group Japan. Will you give us some advice?

PyCon Japan 2012 will be held on September 15 -16 in Tokyo. PyCon
Japan organizers asked a couple of python related users group, such
as Django, SciPy, Pyramid, Plone etc, to have some sessions in the
event. And they request proposals.

I worry about PyCon is 'die-hard' python developer event and not
suitable for Plone. So, I'd like to know how Plone community work
with PyCon in other countries. What kind of session is good for PyCon
attendees? Please let me know your experience in PyCon.

I appreciate any advice and comments.

Thank you,
--
:: Shigeo Honda
:: shigeo.honda at gmai.com
:: http://www.facebook/shigeoh
:: ricerco - communication designing company
:: http://www.ricerco.com
Érico Andrei
2012-05-22 08:51:25 UTC
Hello,

As the previous organizer of PythonBrasil (Brazil's Pycon) I have some
insights to share :-)

First, Plone is not the newest shinny thing so people tend to overlook
it or even ignore it when selecting talks. Right now it seems we are living
in a Django-centric world (when it comes to web apps) and it is hard to
fight it.

So, in order to have success in landing Plone talks in local PyCon's
I'd suggest you talk about what Plone can do without mentioning Plone in
talk's title (That's how I landed Plone talks on EuroPython, PyCon
Argentina and in previous editions of PythonBrasil). Success cases are
great but even better is to really show Plone in action -- a demo showing
Dexterity + FormGen + plone.app.workfloweditor is a sure way to get some
love from developers and their managers.

Best,
?rico Andrei
erico at simplesconsultoria.com.br
Simples Consultoria
www.simplesconsultoria.com.br
+551138982121
+551184443867
:: shigeo.honda at gmai.com
:: http://www.facebook/shigeoh
:: ricerco - communication designing company
:: http://www.ricerco.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Shigeo Honda
Hi Guys,
I'm Shigeo Honda, Plone Users Group Japan. Will you give us some advice?
PyCon Japan 2012 will be held on September 15 -16 in Tokyo. PyCon
Japan organizers asked a couple of python related users group, such
as Django, SciPy, Pyramid, Plone etc, to have some sessions in the
event. And they request proposals.
I worry about PyCon is 'die-hard' python developer event and not
suitable for Plone. So, I'd like to know how Plone community work
with PyCon in other countries. What kind of session is good for PyCon
attendees? Please let me know your experience in PyCon.
I appreciate any advice and comments.
Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for
pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected.
It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the
python community.
I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved
with the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community
than plone itself. It makes me think that if the python community
aren't fans of Plone, then where are our fans?
Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.
Post by Shigeo Honda
Thank you,
--
:: Shigeo Honda
:: shigeo.honda at gmai.com
:: http://www.facebook/shigeoh
Matt Hamilton
2012-05-22 13:59:06 UTC
Post by Shigeo Honda
I worry about PyCon is 'die-hard' python developer event and not
suitable for Plone. So, I'd like to know how Plone community work
with PyCon in other countries. What kind of session is good for PyCon
attendees? Please let me know your experience in PyCon.
I appreciate any advice and comments.
Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected.
It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the python community.
I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved with the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community than plone itself. It makes me think that if the python community aren't fans of Plone, then where are our fans?
Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.
Similar experiences with Europython the past few years. There were a load of Plone talks submitted this year, and the only ones accepted were the ones that did not mention Plone in the title.

As is already said, Plone in and of itself is not new and shiny. People naturally want the new and shiny things at conferences like this I think. But with regards to Python and Plone I think it is slightly deeper than that. I really don't know why, but it does seem that Plone still has a bit of a bad taste for 'die hard' python people.

One thing I did at a conference this weekend was to install Plone from scratch during a 5-minute lightning talk. I can do it in under 3 minutes. Basically running virtualenv, paster, buildout, bin/instance fg. The idea was to show to python people that Plone is *not* some difficult thing to get going with.

The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads against brick walls? but then, I'm not sure how else we are going to get new developers into the community. We can work on the business level and aim at business conferences and do case study talks and the likes and hope that business decision makes choose Plone and drag developers along that way.

My only other idea is to stick to doing talks on specific bits of technology that are new and shiny and showcase them. Things like Diazo? then again, I submitted a Diazo talk to Europython and that was not accepted either :(

-Matt
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Matt Hamilton
Post by Dylan Jay
Post by Shigeo Honda
[...]
for the record the talk I did submit didn't mention plone. It was
called something like "zero to website hero in 30min" and was going to
a complete themed site from start to end in 30min talk slot. Now I'm
just going to have to do the same thing in a 5min lightning talk slot :)
Post by Matt Hamilton
The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type
events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases
of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads
against brick walls? but then, I'm not sure how else we are going to
get new developers into the community. We can work on the business
level and aim at business conferences and do case study talks and
the likes and hope that business decision makes choose Plone and
drag developers along that way.
We need developers but they don't have to be die hard python devs.
Python devs like making frameworks not themes :) Maybe we should be
speaking at php conferences :)
Post by Matt Hamilton
My only other idea is to stick to doing talks on specific bits of
technology that are new and shiny and showcase them. Things like
Diazo? then again, I submitted a Diazo talk to Europython and that
was not accepted either :(
-Matt
Post by Dylan Jay
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
Matt Hamilton
2012-05-22 14:53:06 UTC
Post by Matt Hamilton
One thing I did at a conference this weekend was to install Plone from scratch during a 5-minute lightning talk. I can do it in under 3 minutes. Basically running virtualenv, paster, buildout, bin/instance fg. The idea was to show to python people that Plone is *not* some difficult thing to get going with.
for the record the talk I did submit didn't mention plone. It was called something like "zero to website hero in 30min" and was going to a complete themed site from start to end in 30min talk slot. Now I'm just going to have to do the same thing in a 5min lightning talk slot :)
Damn? sounds like would be a great talk. Shame it wasn't accepted. That's going to be a fun lightning talk ;)
Post by Matt Hamilton
The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads against brick walls? but then, I'm not sure how else we are going to get new developers into the community. We can work on the business level and aim at business conferences and do case study talks and the likes and hope that business decision makes choose Plone and drag developers along that way.
We need developers but they don't have to be die hard python devs. Python devs like making frameworks not themes :) Maybe we should be speaking at php conferences :)
No, exactly. That is kind of why I sometimes think that Europython/PyCon is not the place we need to be promoting Plone. The problem being I don't know *where* we should be promoting it in terms of attracting new developers.

Also, as a community we have plenty of our own events. If I was a Plone developer and could only afford to go to one conference then it will be a Plone one, not a general python one. Or put another way, as an employer of Plone developers I can see much more value sending people to Plone conferences than Python conferences. Hence often Plone is not that well represented proportionally at PyCon-type events as they are too busy at their own events.

I speak at least once a year a the local university and promote Plone there? especially the community. Showing them photos of all the events worldwide and telling some of the stories of meeting people and what they are up to in the Plone world is great. I would love to be able to try and push that further and try and get more people doing at more universities etc.

-Matt
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Dylan Jay
Post by Matt Hamilton
The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type
events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases
of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads
against brick walls... but then, I'm not sure how else we are going
to get new developers into the community. We can work on the
business level and aim at business conferences and do case study
talks and the likes and hope that business decision makes choose
Plone and drag developers along that way.
We need developers but they don't have to be die hard python devs.
Python devs like making frameworks not themes :) Maybe we should be
speaking at php conferences :)
+1 and that's a big reason I like going to a CMS Expo in our area that
is more concentrated on Drupal/Joomla and other PHP-based tools, but I
have one other idea that I think could create a few more converts more
quickly... Target the theme developers who currently crank out themes
for Wordpress/Drupal/Joomla. They can get a few more miles out of
selling their themes, if they just learn how to roll the theme using
Diazo. The themes are already designed with 'includes' and 'portlet
treatments' and are normally pretty good semantically and would work
well with Plone.

I'm in the process of leveraging a Wordpress theme for a redesign of our
company site and afterwards plan to contact the theme developer to pique
her interest, hopefully, in doing the same. Many sites, such as
ThemeForest.com allow you to download the theme you've purchased for WP,
Drupal, or Joomla. Would be great if the theme devs start asking
ThemeForest and others to 'please carry our Plone theme' and make it
available for download as well. I know this gets into the whole
commercial vs. OSS issue for our themes, but I believe the specifics of
how to package Diazo-based themes has been hammered out and so long as
the theme doesn't ship with extended portlets, viewlets, etc. that are
already shipped with Plone, this decoupling is fine for having them sell
their theme commercially (would need to look into those details of what
was ironed out, again, of course.)

If we get 2 or 3 such theme developers on one themes site willing to
migrate their themes for Diazo/Plone and then push to get them carried
on a theme site such as ThemeForest, then hopefully other theme devs
will follow suit, if they see/find there is a market (of course, they
won't, if nobody buys the themes, since this is a commercial effort.)

But I do think the proliferation of Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal (in the
U.S., anyhow) is greatly due to the great market there is for theme
developers to freelance and make a living building themes for them.
Many of them were probably HTML/CSS/graphics folks who didn't
necessarily care to become PHP developers and probably will resist
having to learn XSLT/Diazo a bit, but if the market is there for them to
make a living on it, they will.
[...]
*+1* on reaching out to local colleges and universities. A couple years
back, we had a client willing to share in some of the management
activities of a project, explaining requirements to students, explaining
the kind of documentation they needed as leave-behind deliverables,
checking their work, and only pulling our team in for initial training
on how to develop content types, customize workflow, customize the theme
and how to package it all up as add-on products.

Turned out to be about the same amount of work as if we had just done
all the work, but it was good to get others (still in college) exposed
to Plone. These people go out into the workforce and perhaps then their
projects call for features that their current CMS of choice cant handle,
they'll remember this tool called Plone that was easy to get things
working in and that shipped with great workflow and permissions
management built-in.

We also gained a team member for a year from this project (who we lost
once he decided to go to law school, unfortunately, but you get the idea.)
-Matt
Post by Dylan Jay
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk <mailto:iain at netsight.co.uk>
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk <http://www.netsight.co.uk/>
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
*
*
Ken Wasetis

President& CMS Solution Architect
Contextual Corp.
office: 847-356-3027
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com

-------------- next part --------------
Post by Dylan Jay
Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for
pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected.
It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the python community.
I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved with
the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community than plone
itself. It makes me think that if the python community aren't fans of
Plone, then where are our fans?
Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.
Similar experiences with Europython the past few years. There were a load
of Plone talks submitted this year, and the only ones accepted were the
ones that did not mention Plone in the title.
actually, I have two talks in Europython this year: one mentions both Plone
and Django in the title, the other just declares "professional content
management with Python in 2012"..

both the talks are in italian, so good chance are there that they were
short in proposals ;)

Nonetheless, Django itself this year had a very low profile presence at
Europython (try to search for it here
https://ep2012.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2012/ and you'll see just 3
talks on Django, then two more, one very tech unrelated and the other from
me..)

I believe we need to be present at PyCons as much as we can, to make people
aware that Plone is well alive and that plone could serve them well
(finally we are made out of Python, aren't we?).

I also believe that Matt & c. are right in saying that we should try to
attract devs using other channels, universities being a good alternative to
me.
Let's inspire more people to do this!

Maurizio
--
Maurizio Delmonte - [maurizio.delmonte at abstract.it]

Abstract Open Solutions [http://www.abstract.it] - Tel: +39 081 06 08 213

*Join me at EuroPython* [http://goo.gl/mmV25]

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.it.html

Ai sensi del d.lgs. 196 del 30 giugno 2003, recante disposizioni per la
tutela delle persone e di altri soggetti rispetto al trattamento dei dati
personali, si precisa che questa email ? inviata unicamente ai destinatari
sopra esposti, con espressa diffida di leggerla, copiarla, diffonderla ed
usarla senza autorizzazione. Se avete ricevuto questa email per errore, vi
preghiamo di distruggerla immediatamente e contattarci tramite uno dei
recapiti sopra indicati.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Google Summer of Code supporting Plone may was a good recognition in
the upcoming professionals area. Timo Stollenwerk and Franco
Pellegrini are excellent examples what kind of success good newcomer
support can bring up! We need such successful people talk more about
their involvement.

Cab we create a well donated developer contest attracting new guys by
special topics and attractive winner prizes? Of course! Then the
celebration of the handing over should be a remarkable media event (at
least look like!)

To design and deliver a remarkable award trophy that makes up good
photos and heavy weight on the desk should be no problem (for me ;-)
waving! We were running pupil contests with around 5000 participants
each time for nearly 10 years. The setup is in the drawer!

Armin
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Matt Hamilton
Post by Dylan Jay
[...]
Armin Carl Stro?-Radschinski, Dipl. Designer
acsr industrialdesign, Landgrafenstra?e 32, 53842 Troisdorf, Germany

Telefon +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 94, FAX +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 96
eMail a.stross-radschinski at acsr.de - http://www.acsr.de
UST. ID Nr: DE154092803 (EU VAT ID)
Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.]

ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker
2012-05-22 21:06:07 UTC
Could it also be that Plone has been marketed as "Plone v1, v2, v3, v4" for 10 years and that has very little appeal?

As a marketing-driven company, Apple understood this phenomenon very well and, instead, rolled out "Tiger", "Leopard", "Snow Leopard", "Lion"... unveiling each version as a totally new product. This allowed them to leverage totally different marketing campaigns and keep the public interested.

Can we orchestrate a grand new product launch for Plone 5 under a different marketing name (but keep the Plone name as the umbrella brand)?

Gabrielle
--
Six Feet Up, Inc. | Where sophisticated web projects thrive
Direct Line: +1 (317) 861-5948 x601
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
+1

Maybe Mark Corum can post the link to his beer-branded release names
PLIP (originally, an April Fool's joke) ? I think it was gathering
steam as a real PLIP last I looked.

I vote for Plone 5 - Barnstormer
(http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5049/13084/?ba=hunteraw ), which
was my favorite ale at the Bristol Plone conf. :)

We'd have to also be sure to not have conflicting numbers included in
release names. As I recall from my Java days, it was a real mess
explaining that JDK 2 actually included Java 1.2 or some such mess.

-Ken
Email: gabrielle at sixfeetup.com <mailto:gabrielle at sixfeetup.com>
eMail a.stross-radschinski at acsr.de
<mailto:a.stross-radschinski at acsr.de> - http://www.acsr.de
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com <mailto:ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com>

ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com

-------------- next part --------------
Post by Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.]
+1
Maybe Mark Corum can post the link to his beer-branded release names
PLIP (originally, an April Fool's joke) ? I think it was gathering
steam as a real PLIP last I looked.
I vote for Plone 5 - Barnstormer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5049/13084/?ba=hunteraw
), which was my favorite ale at the Bristol Plone conf. :)
We'd have to also be sure to not have conflicting numbers included
in release names. As I recall from my Java days, it was a real mess
explaining that JDK 2 actually included Java 1.2 or some such mess.
+10 for named major releases. However I think beer names has with
copyright?

In terms of attracting developers I think this is a fantastic idea. I
have a theory that popularity of frameworks can be attributed at least
20% to it's name. Sounds crazy but consider this: no matter how cool a
technology each one of us is going to feel some reluctance
recommending it to a friend over beer if the name is boring or worse,
embarrassing. Ruby on Rails, Flask, Bottle... all cool names. Zope,
Ice cream sandwich... not so much :)
This is our opportunity to modernise and make Plone part of a name
which is cool.

Plone 5 is also a game changer. Diazo and Deco is going to change
Plone into one the best through the web site creation tools around I
believe. Maybe Plone 4.3 could be Plone Diazo because of the theming
editor, and Plone 5 be Plone Deco?
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Armin Stroß-Radschinski
2012-05-23 05:26:25 UTC
The value of a "release name buzz " is something I absolutely agree
with! (except beer or wine, which is not compatible with every culture
of having fun or not ;-) That should not be a joke!

Thanks Gabrielle for bringing this up again!
Von: Armin Stro?-Radschinski <developer at acsr.de>
Datum: 29. April 2011 11:54:53 MESZ
So I make a suggestion to rename future minor releases after
Galaxies. To boldly go...
read more there...

"running gag" concepts for campaign sequels are the solution that
burn=>brand values into brains.
If we use a continuing metaphor it may save a lot of headaches in the
creative department!

Here the arguments for galaxies from a proposal not shared wider until
Release Tamtam across the universe
====================================
We should have a regular naming schema for Plone releases like Apple
and Ubuntu together with the new release schedule. I already have
published this goal on the list and provided an idea by using the
official names of Galaxies ? Going far beyond than any other CMS ;-)
There are some reasons behind. One big benefit is that those names
are usually trademark free, even if this needs some basic checking.
And ? the availability of free images by the NASA (allof them are
free and public domain!).
We should make Plone is so cool you would like to have a tattoo of it
and be sure to have a chance being proud of it when you retire!
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com

Shigeo Honda
2012-05-23 06:00:21 UTC
Hi

Thanks everybody. I'm surprised to read a lot of thoughtful input.
I'm confident the power of Plone community.

I've also realized that marketing and promoting Plone is common,
global agenda we can share and should tackle with.

Thank you.
--
:: Shigeo Honda
:: shigeo.honda at gmai.com
:: http://www.facebook/shigeoh
:: ricerco - communication designing company
:: http://www.ricerco.com
Dylan Jay
2012-05-22 22:41:34 UTC
On 23/05/2012, at 7:23 AM, "Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.]" <
ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com> wrote:

+1

Maybe Mark Corum can post the link to his beer-branded release names PLIP
(originally, an April Fool's joke) ? I think it was gathering steam as a
real PLIP last I looked.

I vote for Plone 5 - Barnstormer (
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5049/13084/?ba=hunteraw ), which was
my favorite ale at the Bristol Plone conf. :)

We'd have to also be sure to not have conflicting numbers included in
release names. As I recall from my Java days, it was a real mess
explaining that JDK 2 actually included Java 1.2 or some such mess.

Pity cause the logical name would be "plone 3D" :)

-Ken

Email: gabrielle at sixfeetup.com

Evangelism at lists.plone.org

ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com

office: 847-356-3027ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think the idea of a contest to drive new users to Plone is a good one.
But trophies? Not good. I work at a university and work with students
every week with campaigns. They see trophies as a joke - artifacts of old
time thinking with about as much attractiveness as an eight track or
cassette tape. Please don't date Plone as old and tired in this way.

When dealing with competitors to whom acceptance means jobs, money, etc -
this is just a bit weak. There are much better, more forward thinking ways
to recognize excellent work. We should do this - but in a BIG way with
some serious recognition.

Naming releases after beers is a non-starter because of copyrights. The
joke only works when you use actual beer names - and sadly that is a
copyright licensing issue. While I'm glad this April Fool's joke has taken
on a life of its own, beer naming works for developer culture - and doesn't
work for corporate, education or many foreign cultures which attach
negative connotations to alcohol. Armin is right on that one. Alienating
potential users is not a good idea,and really doesn't profit us in a
significant way.

Likewise, galaxies lack personality and individuality. Few people can name
a galaxy if you show them a picture of it - and why would Plone Andromeda
be thought of differently than Plone Large Magellanic Cloud or M-102.
Apple release names tie features and themes to big cat personalities - and
Ubuntu names are loaded with personality by pairing a descriptor with their
animals. Effective non-number releases need to be sensible and descriptive
to non-developers. And they need to be memorable and cross-cultural.

Mark

Mark A Corum

Writer | User Interface Designer | Online Marketer | Certified
ScrumMaster | Campaign Hack and Spinmeister

markcorum on AOL, Googletalk, Google Groups, MSN, Skype, Meebo, Facebook,
Twitter and Yahoo

?No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.? - Voltaire

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Armin Stro?-Radschinski
p3/schedule/ep2012/ <https://ep2012.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2012/>and you'll see just 3 talks on Django, then two more, one very tech
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/**no-word-attachments.it.html<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.it.html>
Post by Mark A Corum
[...]
Since it's python we could use snake names. Plone cobra. Plone
Anaconda. Plone Boa etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_by_common_name
)
Previously there was a suggestion of famous beaches. That makes
international which is nice. Plone Brighton, Plone Bondi, Plone Del
Mar, Plone Ventura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beaches)
Alteration can sounds good so a theme of words starting with P?

Not sure if either of these suggestions are cool enough though.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Armin Stro?-Radschinski <developer at acsr.de
Matt Hamilton
2012-05-23 08:19:56 UTC
Since it's python we could use snake names. Plone cobra. Plone Anaconda. Plone Boa etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_by_common_name)
I really quite like that idea.
Previously there was a suggestion of famous beaches. That makes international which is nice. Plone Brighton, Plone Bondi, Plone Del Mar, Plone Ventura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beaches)
Alteration can sounds good so a theme of words starting with P?
Yeah, that is very good too and I like the international aspect of it. I think I like it even better than the snake one. We just need to watch out as Apple codenamed a laptop Pismo, which is a beach in California. I don't think they were on a beach theme though as the others in the series were Lombard (I presume the street in SF), and Wall Street.

We have to have a sprint / release party at each one of these beaches as we go along right? ;)

I've always thought the Ubuntu release names were a bit naff. Whilst I think they work great for developers I always feel a bit daft referring to Breezy Badger or Oneiric Ocelot in a business setting.

-Matt
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Dylan Jay
[...]
same goes for android release names. I think ice cream sandwich is fun
for developers but your average person walking into a phone shop is
probably going to feel weird asking for it.
This name thing will be tough. It has to be both "enterprisy" and cool
for developers. A job for whoever is drinking beer at PSE right now :)
Post by Matt Hamilton
-Matt
Post by Dylan Jay
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
Matt Hamilton
2012-05-23 08:40:20 UTC
same goes for android release names. I think ice cream sandwich is fun for developers but your average person walking into a phone shop is probably going to feel weird asking for it.
Indeed.
This name thing will be tough. It has to be both "enterprisy" and cool for developers.
I think the beach names works well as they are abstract enough.
A job for whoever is drinking beer at PSE right now :)
Uh-oh ;)

-Matt
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director
Email
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Matt Hamilton
I think the beach names works well as they are abstract enough.
What about dances. I could perform a Tango, a Milonga and a Tango
Waltz at the release party. ;-)

juh
Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker
2012-05-23 10:58:26 UTC
When coming up with a release name, keep in mind we will need to be able to explain the choice to the media. We can't just say "oh, it sounded nice", or "this is a fun destination for vacation" (although I personally like "Ventura").

"Lion" and "Tiger" both come with the connotations of "powerful", "superbe", "respectful", etc.

We will have to tie the name to the main features in Plone 5. So, what are the top 3 new benefits in Plone 5?

Gabrielle

Sent from my iPhone
matth at netsight.co.uk
Telephone
+44 (0) 117 909 0901
Web
www.netsight.co.uk
Address
40 Berkeley Square, Clifton
Bristol BS8 1HU

Matt Hamilton
2012-05-23 09:02:32 UTC
I think the idea of a contest to drive new users to Plone is a good one. But trophies? Not good. I work at a university and work with students every week with campaigns. They see trophies as a joke - artifacts of old time thinking with about as much attractiveness as an eight track or cassette tape. Please don't date Plone as old and tired in this way.
When dealing with competitors to whom acceptance means jobs, money, etc - this is just a bit weak. There are much better, more forward thinking ways to recognize excellent work. We should do this - but in a BIG way with some serious recognition.
And as if by magic?. just announced...

http://www.ploneconf.org/news/plone-innovation-awards-2012

Mark? you might want to check with them about trophies!

-Matt
NETSIGHT
Matt Hamilton
Technical Director